Deputy Head of Year (Temporary Maternity Cover)
TSAT Grade D
£20,646– £23,237 per annum FTE
(pro-rata to £17,875- £20,118 for the hours and weeks stated)
37 hours per week
40 weeks per year (Term time plus 1)
Closing date for applications: Wednesday 1st July 2020
Interviews: w/c 6th July 2020
Start Date: September 2020
We are a successful and growing school, which is currently going through a period of expansion. We are looking to appoint a Deputy Head of Year to cover Maternity Leave.
The Portsmouth Academy is a ‘Good’ school with outstanding leadership and management - Ofsted April 2017
We are privileged to work in a stunning learning environment with excellent resources; including a newly created Student Engagement Centre comprising a Key Stage Three and a Key Stage for inclusive provision. The Academy is focused on providing an education for all children and ensuring that every child has access to the same opportunities and that we remove barriers to any forms of disadvantage. Our belief is that each person is unique – every member of our community has gifts and talents that we seek to grow and channel. Our job is to find and foster these for all. We offer a broad and balanced curriculum geared towards ensuring that our students will be dynamic and valuable members of society when they leave the Academy.
Our Deputy Heads of Year play a pivotal role in the daily working life of The Portsmouth Academy, supporting both students’ social and emotional needs, and their academic engagement with learning. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is looking to make a difference in the lives of our students and to work within a dynamic and supportive staff team.
“The staff have just been the most outstanding, supportive and resilient people I have ever worked with. No problem is too small for them, and they will drop anything to support you, personally and professionally.
Lots of schools say it, but here, we really mean it. TPA is a family. One I will not be leaving for a very long time. “ L Hudson – Head of Department
What you will need to succeed:
• Previous experience of working within a similar role (desirable)
• The ability to enforce standards around attendance, behaviour and progress
• The ability to actively promote positive values, attitudes and good student behaviour
• To be able to inspire and act as a mentor for students
• To encourage active internal and external competition within the year group
• To be able support the welfare and wellbeing of our students
• To be committed to work as part of a team who are passionate about achieving the very best outcomes for all of our students
What our Trust can offer you:
• An excellent environment for learning and teaching. The Portsmouth Academy has undergone major refurbishment and a further building phase will commence in 2019 including a state of the art new building with fantastic facilities to house, art music and drama.
• Highly supportive subject mentoring with a strong professional development programme to ensure that the Teachers’ Standards are well developed.
• We place a strong emphasis on “Wellbeing for Staff” here at The Portsmouth Academy.
• Progress is significantly above the national average in a range of subjects.
• With an outstanding Leadership and Management team, we are focused on providing our staff with bespoke CPD tailored to the stage they are at in their career.
• We offer the NPQ suite and our own ‘Think Ahead’ middle leaders programme.
• The Academy operates a very clear behaviour structure and pupil’s conduct in lessons and around the school is excellent. – Ofsted 2017
• Support from across the Trust to help you deliver outstanding practice through resources, mentoring and school visits.
• We work closely with The Portsmouth Education Partnership, Teach Portsmouth and Portsmouth Teaching Schools Alliance.
• The Trust holds regular CPD events and Curriculum Leaders are currently working on an exciting Year 5-8 curriculum with our Trust junior schools.
• A 24/7 employee assistance programme which provides counselling and support / advice on a wide array of areas.
• Onsite parking free of charge
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
The Portsmouth Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.